The latest development when it comes to the Cannabis Industry are “Marijuana Concentrates”, commonly known as “Cannabis extracts” which is an extremely effective concentration of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) that looks like butter or honey. There are numerous cannabis extracts; Cannabis oil, wax, and shutter are just a few of them.
Shatter which is known to be the purest of all smokable forms of cannabis extracts is quite similar to wax despite how different they look. Shatter is stable but seems to last longer and it is more challenging to handle, especially when it pertains to dabbing. Also, one thing to m ention is that shatter has some of the highest terpene contents of all concentrated extracts.
How to Make Shatter
To start with, you need to get a variety of equipment ready, like a tube, filters, a vacuum, a stand to hold it in, heating pan, a Rosin press, and a chamber to press in and so on. Although Cannabis extracts vary in stability, they usually undergo the same process to be extracted.
- Pack the extraction tube in a way that enough amount of air can get through.
Extraction tube that is made of thick glass is most preferred.
- Once the marijuana buds is submerged in the extraction tube and the filters are over the end, secure the filters with a strong holding substance.
- Flush your extraction tube which contains your submerged buds with a solvent (usually a pressurized butane, propane, or carbon dioxide) to remove the whole compound from the plant.
- Ensure you vaporize the solvent from the extract so that you can be left with the Cannabis resin.
- A Rosin press is needed to get rid of the last bit of your solvent.
A rosin press is a machine that produces a controlled amount of heat and pressure.
If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck, we suggest the Magic Bubble Rosin press. The cheapest one we’ve found so far is from Home Grow Supplier. There’s a variety of different models so depending on your needs and budget you have a few options:
For more information on the comparisons, please continue reading.
- After evaporation which is also part of the process, your pan should be occupied with this golden brown fluid.
Disclaimer: Do not try this if you aren’t a professional as this can cause severe damage to lives and properties.
If you are just growing your plants, it is advisable to use root strengthener from the start of the growth process as this is one of the major secret to making your shatter as strong as needed.
Encourage foliar spray too, because this is a spray that feeds nutrients directly to the plants through its leaves. The spray helps strengthen your plant for much larger harvest and stronger weed yields, and it also ensures your plant won’t become strained and it is much more effective than standardized root fertilizers.
How much do I need to Spend?
- Their components are non-wearing compared to cheaper ones which can wear off anytime
- Unlike cheap presses which can be money-consuming, heavy duty presses are designed to be low maintenance.
- Full demanding force can be conveyed at any point in the stroke in a heavy-duty hydraulic press compared to cheap mechanical presses where full power is delivered only at the bottommost end.
- Heavy-duty hydraulic presses offer dual benefits of low starting costs and low operating costs.
- If not careful, hot rosin plates can burn the skin.
- A lot of money is required to purchase rosin presses as they are relatively expensive.
- High-pressure rosin presses can be dangerous in some other cases
Example of a high-quality rosin press which is the Bubble Magic Rosin Press comes in different forms like the Bubble Magic Rosin Press (Pneumatic Heat Extraction) which has a pressure of 1000psi, dimensions and heat plate dimensions of 14” x 32” x 21” and 5” x 5” respectively, power of 120v/900 Watts/10A, Temperature ranging from 0 to 750 degree Fahrenheit, time range of 0 to 999 seconds and an LCD screen with Digital Temperature Control which costs $1,285. Another one is the Bubble Magic 8” x 16” Hydraulic Press (12 Ton) which has a pressure of 12 Ton, dimensions and heat plate dimensions of 12” x 33” x 23” and 8” x 16” respectively, power of 860 Watts, Temperature ranging from 0 to 750 degree Fahrenheit, time range of 0 to 999 seconds, weight of 192lbs, Dual LED control screens and hydraulic and pneumatic press type which has a price of $1,949.99.
Bubble Magic Rosin Press is fantastic for personal use and it comes in all shapes and sizes depending on the amount you intend spending on rosin presses.
As an individual who really need to make marijuana concentrate either for consuming purpose or for medical use (e.g. for the treatment of Cancer, Neuropathic pain, depression or weight loss, just to mention a few), purchasing a Bubble Magic Rosin Press is essential. Purchasing from the above website is quite cheaper than www.amazon.com. For example, the Bubble Magic 5” x 5” Rosin Press and Bubble Magic 8” x 16” hydraulic Press which costs $1,285 and $1,949.99 respectively on www.homegrowsupplier.com costs $1,300 and $2,050 respectively on www.amazon.com.
Since Cannabis extraction involves butane which is a highly flammable hydrocarbon that can blow up your kitchen or bathroom and can also cause severe damage to your health if the specialized equipment is not used like you’d find in a chemistry lab, please do the process outdoor.
Shatter Containers and Storage
So now that you have your shatter, you need a place to store it. Some people prefer to store it in a fridge or freezer, but regardless, you’ll need to keep it safe from living up to its name.
There are various containers sold online marketed as dab containers and as of writing, but these practical mini storages can be used for all sorts of things like creams, balms, waxes, etc.
We would suggest getting a kit that includes a carving tool so that you chip at your hard earned shatter delicately. They aren’t too expensive and you can get some pretty colorful kits like the Wax Carving Travel Kit [MILITARY CAMO] Nonstick Tin with Silicone Jar Containers 5 mililiters (2 units) and Stainless Steel Carving Tool (1) and Mini Carver Tool (1) and Wax Mat 3″ x 5″ (1).
As you become more verse with making shatter using a rosin press, you will find that it becomes an addictive activity as you refine your skills. Eventually, you’ll need more storage for your shatter. We recommend getting at least half a dozen containers which you can get just under $25 : Dab Containers Silicone Large (10 pcs) 22ml Dab Jars, Non Stick Wax Containers.